In 1859, miners came to Opal Creek in search of gold, but came up short. Mining continued in the area until 1992, when the Shiny Rock Mining Corporation donated the land to what was then Friends of Opal Creek, whose mission was to get permanent protection for the Opal Creek ecosystem. In 2005, Friends of Opal Creek changed it's name to Opal Creek Ancient Forest Center to reflect it's new mission of "protecting ancient forest stewardship through educational experiences inspired by Opal Creek's natural and cultural history."
Here are some pictures:
Shrooms on a huge tree
Newt and reflection
The lodge at the center, where we got to eat all the wonderful food
Some of the old stuff that has been collected from the site, they have collected a bunch of neat old stuff
Western trillium (Trillium ovatum)