Quote of the Week, Perhaps a Bit Longer

"The biological community is a vast and complicated system for sharing and distributing the energy of the sun among a diversity of life forms." ~Martson Bates

1/24/10

Euskadi; Getaria

Getaria with the Raton in the background

Saturday, the day after my day of rest, Cameron and his girlfriend, Edurne, picked us up at our hotel in Bilbao and drove us to Getaria, a small coastal town where Joseba (Dan's boss) let us stay in his unoccupied apartment. The apartment was really nice, but when we first got there it was a bit chilly. There was a space heater that worked really well, but we just needed it during the nights and when we got out of the shower.

I was feeling a bit better, but was still somewhat weak and did not have much of an apatite. Dan and I decided to go for a hike up the raton. The raton is a mouse shape island (which is now actually a peninsula since man has built roads and docks connecting the island to the main land). The hike was wonderful, even though I had to go slow and take quite a few rest stops. The entire hike had gorgeous views, and from the top of the Raton you could see quite a lot of the Basque coast, soooooooooo beautiful.

Dan on the Raton

Dan and I blending in with flora

Pan on the trail

Dan playing at the top of the Raton

The light house on the Raton

View from the top of the Raton

That night Dan and I went out to dinner. We ate at the Mayflower. I had the grilled hake, which was an excellent choice for me. It was quite mild and gentle on the stomach. It was the first real food I had eaten since I got sick and even though I couldn't eat a lot of it, I enjoyed it very much. Hake is a very popular and traditional fish in the Basque Country, many of the restaurants we ate at offered some type of hake.

1 comment:

Erin said...

i love the karate kid pose.