Quote of the Week, Perhaps a Bit Longer

"The biological community is a vast and complicated system for sharing and distributing the energy of the sun among a diversity of life forms." ~Martson Bates

2/4/10

Euskadi; My Sister Joins Us!!!!

On Wednesday my sister met us in Donostia, she flew into Madrid and then took a train up to Donostia. It was great timing because Dan had a meeting in the morning with people from Elkar, the main Basque bookstore, that morning. Erin's train wasn't scheduled to come in until until about 1:30 pm and Dan's meeting was early. So I took the morning to walk around Donostia on my own and do some sight seeing. Here are some pictures from my wanderings:

At the coast in Donostia while I was sightseeing

The coast in Donostia

The Basque flag on a hillside along the coast

Rent a bike, soooo awesome!

I strolled around town for awhile and then headed to the train station to wait for Erin and Dan. Dan wasn't sure when his meeting would get done, but he thought it would be right around the time Erin was to show up ~1:30. I sat and read for a bit and Dan showed up right before Erin's train was to arrive. Soon after Dan arrived, the train appeared, but Erin didn't get off the train. She had warned us that if things didn't go smoothly she might miss the first train and would have to take a later one, one that she thought wouldn't get in until 9:30 pm. However, Dan and I saw that there was a train coming from Madrid that would be getting into Donostia around 4:30, so we figured we would check back then.

Dan and I decided to go ahead and rent the car, it went smoothly and was cheaper than we had originally planned for, so that was good. The people at the rental agency were nice, they let keep the car parked at the rental place so we didn't have to pay for parking, which was super cool. Dan and I walked around town for a few hours and then headed back to the train station around 4:30, we were running a bit late so right as we were crossing the street to the station we saw Erin walking out of the station, yay!!! We were glad she was on that train and we didn't have to come back at 9:30pm, I was still suffering from lack of sleep and 9:30 was way past my bedtime.

All three of us walked around Donostia for a little while, but it was siesta time and not many of the shops were open. We headed back to Getaria fairly early and had a delicious dinner at a little place right on the coast (I can't recall the name). At the restaurant there were a few people at the bar, but we pretty much had the dining area all to ourselves. We then headed home and went to bed fairly early. Thursday was going to be a big day.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I sure am glad she made that 4:30 train!

Renee said...

I know, me too! :^)