Quote of the Week, Perhaps a Bit Longer

"The biological community is a vast and complicated system for sharing and distributing the energy of the sun among a diversity of life forms." ~Martson Bates

3/12/11

What a Difference a Mountain Range Makes

I'm sure you're thinking, "of course a mountain range makes a difference," but it seemed so crazy to me. On Thursday, I went to Sacramento to teach students about the watershed they live in and geology. For those of you who don't know, Sacramento is just on the other side of the Sierra Nevada Mountains from Reno, it's about a two hour drive, with some great scenery along the way.

Currently, Reno is still pretty barren in it's winter freeze. Although the sunny days have started again and there a few shoots of green here and there, like some grasses that are starting to pop up and a few little green plants like the red-stemmed fillaree (Erodium cicutarium). Compared to the other side of the pass though this is absolutely nothing. As soon as we were over the pass and down out of the snow, we were surrounded by green grass and the trees were already in full bloom. It was cool to see all the colors, the trees covered in white and pinks, the orange poppies blooming along the side of the road. It really made me excited for spring to come to Reno, but I need to be patient, all in good time. I don't want to rush something that is soooooo great.

I need to start remembering to take my camera with me so I can share pictures of all of this with you. Well next time--hopefully!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome, I love spring arriving, it's definitely been feeling like it's starting the past few days!

Margery said...

I remember moving to this area over 33 years ago and missing the green of Iowa so much I would have to make that trip over the mountains to see green. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

and here i am surrounded by greenery wanting nothing but dusty desert! beary