Quote of the Week, Perhaps a Bit Longer

"The biological community is a vast and complicated system for sharing and distributing the energy of the sun among a diversity of life forms." ~Martson Bates

5/22/11

The Past Couple of Months

Okay, where to begin--where to begin? Well, I've been on quite a few different trips as of late; Deer Creek Hills in Sacramento, CA, Opal Creek in Oregon and then back to Deer Creek Hills again. I discussed these trips briefly before, so I'll just post some pictures from the trips and talk a little bit about them.

Deer Creek Hills: We took students on field trips to learn about water and rocks!. This first trip was in mid April and, as you'll see in the pictures, it was quite green.

A group of students at Deer Creek Hills

Deer Creek Hills, with some amazing students

Deer Creek, some of the water we tested.

Opal Creek: I went to Opal Creek Ancient Forest Center in Oregon to renew my Wilderness First Responder Certification. This was the second time I made the trip to Opal Creek to re-certify. It is an amazing place with great scenery and great food. I highly recommend it.

Snow on my way to Opal Creek. This was in Oregon, I couldn't believe it was a blizzard in Oregon! The weather in the Reno/Tahoe area was beautiful when I left.

One of the creeks, either Battle Ax or Opal. I forget which one this was a picture of, but regardless, they are both beautiful.

Some of the WFR Re-cert crew, there were 10 returners from two years ago--that's how much people love this place!

Back to Deer Creek Hills: This trip was in mid May and it was not nearly as green as it was in April.

Back at Deer Creek, not quite as green as it was in April

The stewards took us for a hike after one of our programs to see some of the sights we were not able to see with the students. The pictures that follow are from that hike:

The pond at Deer Creek Hills

Woodpecker acorn storage holes

Grinding holes, this one is thought to be an oven because of its elongated shape.

I should be in Reno now for sometime--with the exception of going to the Ranch for Memorial weekend, but at least that is still in Nevada.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well, these sound awesome, but I'm glad that you're going to be home! :)