Quote of the Week, Perhaps a Bit Longer

"The biological community is a vast and complicated system for sharing and distributing the energy of the sun among a diversity of life forms." ~Martson Bates

11/26/08

The trouble with blogging

I am having a lot of trouble posting blogs, I feel blocked. There are a couple of things that I think are the cause of my blockage. One being that this is my personal blog where I can discuss any topic I wish - from human-powered transportation to how I'm curiously fascinated by the lives of ants - that prospect makes me a little nervous, what topics should I chose, what ideas should I share, do I really want people to know about the crazy thoughts I have floating around in my head? Mostly, I plan on posting topics related to human-powered transportation and other issues concerning our Bikearth project, but...I will probably include some peculiar topics that I find intriguing as well. It seems strange to put my thoughts, ideas, frustrations and passions out into cyberspace for the world to see.

I believe another reason I am having trouble is the strange habit I have when writing in my paper and pen journals, I leave the first page blank...always. Whenever I try to write on the first page of a new journal I become overwhelmed with the idea that the first page has to be a creative masterpiece, that I need to say something profound and meaningful. That thought keeps me from writing anything at all, so I skip the first page and start writing my not so profound thoughts on the second page. Sounds strange I know, but it helps me to start writing. With blogs you can't skip the first page, although I did my best to try... what the hell, I'm going to start writing anyway.

No comments: