Quote of the Week, Perhaps a Bit Longer

"The biological community is a vast and complicated system for sharing and distributing the energy of the sun among a diversity of life forms." ~Martson Bates

1/26/09

New Blog

I'm Changing my blog so it encompasses all the aspects of my life not just my bicycling experiences. As stated in the last post I want to work on the rewilding of myself. What does that mean exactly? Well, that is something I hope to learn along the way, but for now, at the beginning of my journey, I'm looking at it as getting closer to natural world and farther away from the over processed nightmare of modern living. I currently live in an apartment in the city, so I will have to get creative with my rewilding and learn how to make it compatible with life in the city.

I believe the best way for me to become more wild is through nature and movement. Studying nature will help me learn my proper place in the world is and help me appreciate the simple, beautiful pleasures the world has to offer. The movement of my body will allow me to get in touch with myself, how my body works and help me physically create my place in the world.

Some of the activities I have already started to help me get wild are relearning local native flora and fauna, studying herbology, practicing gymnastics, daily walk/runs, in-depth, descriptive journaling (this will take some practice), following the Primal Blueprint, and learning the aerial silks. Also, I try to partake in environmentally friendly practices like buying organic, local goods when I can and my budget allows, using reusable shopping bags, recycling - but trying not to buy cans and plastic bottles in the first place, driving as little as possible or when I do drive do it efficiently, and mainly just be more aware of my consumption.

Some of the activities that I would like to start incorporating into my life are yoga, reading about wild peoples, meditating, receiving and learning how to give massages, and learning some sort of new dance form perhaps belly dancing or capoeira. I also would like to take some art classes like nature drawing or something along those lines or pottery using local resources. If you have suggestions I would love to hear them.

No comments: