Quote of the Week, Perhaps a Bit Longer

"The biological community is a vast and complicated system for sharing and distributing the energy of the sun among a diversity of life forms." ~Martson Bates

6/8/09

Monsoon Season in Nevada???

It rains in Nevada, but not that often. Nevada is the driest state in the nation, averaging about 7 inches of precipitation a year. However, it has been raining everyday, not all day, but everyday for the last two weeks. We've been having afternoon thunderstorms reminiscent of the monsoon season in New Mexico and the wet season in South Florida. Though, Saturday it did rain pretty much all day. Rain like this is very unusual for this area.

Saturday I went for a run in the rain, it was really nice. It wasn't dumping, but it was raining hard enough for me to get a little wet and keep me nice and cool. I ran along the Truckee river from Idelwild park west to Mayberry Dr. While I was running I couldn't help but notice the chirping of birds and the lush greenery of the wild roses, cottonwoods, oaks, willows, amongst other green foliage. It really felt like I was in a rain forest, except that this rain forest had high desert plant species in it.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

sounds like fun :) the weather sure has been unusual lately, and it's supposed to continue into next week.

Erin said...

it's been really dry here the past few days. stop stealing our rain!

Renee said...

It didn't rain at the ranch yesterday, but I heard it rained in Reno.

Margery said...

It poured in Reno. I have lived here for 32 years and I have never seen or heard it rain this much and for such a long time. The thunder reminded me of the mid west. I could not take my eyes off of the rain pouring down. It was so awesome! Love, Mom