Quote of the Week, Perhaps a Bit Longer

"The biological community is a vast and complicated system for sharing and distributing the energy of the sun among a diversity of life forms." ~Martson Bates

6/16/10

Brown Blooms

Western Peony

I know I say it about most every plant I write about, but I have to say it again, Western Peonies (Paeonia brownii) are one my favorite plants. One reason I love them is that their flowers are brown. I don't know why, but there is something absolutely fascinating about brown flowers. I think they're fascinating because few plants have brown flowers and because brown is a color that is not typically associated with flowers. When I think of a bouquet of flowers I tend to see colors of yellow, red, orange, blue, purple, white and green, but not often brown.

Brown flower of the Western Peony

Western Peonies have 5-6 maroon/brown petals with a large number of bright yellow stamen that contrast beautifully with the brown petals. The leaves are large, gray in color are irregularly lobed. The leaves themselves are quite lovely.

Peony flower

Peony Leaves

Western Peonies have been used for medicinal purposes. The roots can be dried and made into tea. The tea has then been used to ease uterine cramps and to stimulate menses. The tea also has been used to treat lung ailments.

Flower bud of the Western Peony

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very cool! Just goes to show that beauty comes in all colors! :)