Quote of the Week, Perhaps a Bit Longer

"The biological community is a vast and complicated system for sharing and distributing the energy of the sun among a diversity of life forms." ~Martson Bates

6/29/10

Dwarf Waterleaf

Dwarf Waterfleaf whole plant

The first time I saw a dwarf waterleaf (Hydrophyllum capitatum) was several years ago on the Hunter Creek trail in northwest Reno. When I first saw it I thought it was so interesting because it has beautiful leaves and hidden underneath the leaves are bunches of pretty little lavender flowers. If you're not looking it is an easy plant to miss.

Dwarf Waterleaf flowers

Now that I have been spending a bit of time on the Hunter Creek trail for my job, I've been seeing quite a few dwarf waterleafs. It belongs to the Waterleaf family (Hydrophyllaceae). The leaves are large and deeply lobed, quite distinctive. The leaves grow up on erect stems forming a sort of an umbrella that covers the small flower clusters. The stamens are long, growing out past the ends of the petals and sepals. I have found these plants mostly on rocky slopes.

More flowers

Waterleaf has been used as a food. The shoots and leaves can be collected before the flowers appear and cooked as a vegetable.

No comments: