Quote of the Week, Perhaps a Bit Longer

"The biological community is a vast and complicated system for sharing and distributing the energy of the sun among a diversity of life forms." ~Martson Bates

3/31/11

Today it was

the killdeer who were out singing up a storm. This morning, while I was out walking Bodie, I saw some killdeer hanging out in our field and others where flying overhead. The killdeer were singing their most notable call, the easily recognizable, high pitched kill-deer kill-deer, kill-deer, kill-deer call, which they are named for.

A cool fact about killdeer is that they are known for their broken-wing dance, which they use to trick predators into following them, leading the predators away from their nests. Also, a fact that sometimes goes overlooked, is that killdeer are quite good swimmers--I don't think I've ever seen one swimming before, but I bet it would be a neat sight.

You can hear their calls and find more cool facts at All About Birds.

No comments: