Quote of the Week, Perhaps a Bit Longer

"The biological community is a vast and complicated system for sharing and distributing the energy of the sun among a diversity of life forms." ~Martson Bates

4/23/11

Whitlowgrass

So, awhile ago I was walking around the property we live on, and as I was looking down at the common plants in our area, like red-stemmed filaree, I noticed a whole bunch of tiny white flowers. They were so small and muted, that I almost didn't see them. I wasn't sure what they were so I got out my trusty guide books to find out their identity.

They are Spring Whitlowgrass (Draba verna) also know as Spring Draba. They belong belong to the Mustard Family (Brassicaceae). Verna, as in Vernal Equinox, which is my favorite equinox, means spring. You can find these flowers in early spring, blooming between February and April. The leaves form a basal rosette and are pubescent. The flowers have four, white petals which are deeply lobed. According to the USDA Plant Profile, this plant can be weedy and invasive.

Draba verna, not the best picture, but all I could get with my camera.

No comments: