Quote of the Week, Perhaps a Bit Longer

"The biological community is a vast and complicated system for sharing and distributing the energy of the sun among a diversity of life forms." ~Martson Bates

1/2/12

New Years Day Run

Yesterday, New Years Day, my friend Maresa and I went for a 6.2 mile run. Originally we were going to drive over to Auburn and do the 10k Resolution Run. Actually, three of us were going to do that, but someone backed out at the last minute to go on a fun camping trip--can't say I blame them with all this warm weather. On New Years Eve Maresa sent me a text wondering, since it was going to be just the two of us, "do we still want to spend three hours in the car, spend money on gas and on the entry fee, or should we just do our own 10k here in Reno:" I voted for doing the 10k here, which she was happy about too.

We started at Maresa's house and ran up to skyline then down skyline toward Virginia Lake, did a lap around the lake and then back to Maresa's place. It was a nice run and a great way to start out the new year, especially since I want to focus more on running this year. On our lap around the lake we saw a ton of Northern Shovelers (Anas clypeata), which is interesting because I haven't seen any at the pond near the condo, but there were hundreds of them here. I also saw one little pied-billed grebe (Podilymbus podiceps), so cute, I love them. Both of these birds were hanging out near the shore and easy spot while running. I kind of wanted to take a little break and see if there were some more cool birds hanging out further from shore, but alas, I kept running and it felt great!

Happy New Year, everyone, may it be a wild one!!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like great fun, and you got homemade pickles! :) Here's to a fantastic 2012

Erin said...

Happy new year and it sounds like a fun run! see you tomorrow! love, mom, ozzie, and bear.