Quote of the Week, Perhaps a Bit Longer

"The biological community is a vast and complicated system for sharing and distributing the energy of the sun among a diversity of life forms." ~Martson Bates

12/28/11

Winter River Run in Spring Like Conditions

Yesterday, I went for a nice little four mile run along the Truckee River. It was a beautiful day, although too warm for the end of December. As I ran, I saw a bunch of the usual suspects, Mallards and Canada Geese, but I also saw a female common merganser (Mergus merganser) diving amongst the rocks in the river and three red-tailed hawks (Buteo jamaicensis) enjoying a thermal above I-80.

Pretty much all of the plants along the route were brown and shriveled, taking their rest during the winter months. However, December has not been very wintry this year, with all this warm weather and no snow. I wonder when the winter weather will finally decide to bless us with its presence? Hopefully soon!!!

No comments: